Back pain is one of the most common health complaints in the world; nearly everyone (80%-90%) gets back pain at some time. About a quarter of adults reported having low back pain lasting at least one day in the prior three months and this has helped make low back pain the most common cause of job-related disability and a leading contributor to missed work. That’s a lot of bad backs. The estimated cost of this problem in the United States alone is over $261-300 billion a year.
The standard medical approach to back pain varies depending on the severity of the condition. Muscle relaxants, painkillers, rest and physical therapy such as traction, diathermy, ultrasound, hot packs and cold packs are sometimes used. These approaches are often found wanting however. Even bed rest has been found ineffective for a serious form of back and leg pain called Sciatica.
If the problem doesn’t improve or worsens then surgery may be recommended by a specialist.
The medical approach is at times necessary—even back surgery has a place. But research is revealing that spinal surgery for acute lower back problems should rarely be performed.
Back surgery has increased dramatically. Nearly 600,000 operations are performed each year, double over the past decade. In 2013 even the Journal of the American Medical Association suggested Chiropractic care as an option for low back pain—noting that surgery should only be tried if all else fails.
The Chiropractic Approach
Chiropractors have helped millions of people with low back problems, often saving them from pain, disability, drugs and surgery. The chiropractor’s purpose is to gently rebalance and mobilise your spine’s joints to relieve pressure on your nerves, discs, and muscles. Our goal is to minimise your symptoms without the reliance on medication and surgery.
If you require any further information about the above conditions, please call our professional Chiropractors at Melville Wellness Centre on 9314 2777, or book your appointment online.
At our clinic we provide many treatments for low back and lumbar conditions, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Joint Mobilisation and Manipulation
- Soft Tissue Therapy
- Ultrasound Therapy
- Taping / Bracing
- Dry Needling
- Rehabilitative stretches and exercises
Our Chiropractors thoroughly examine each individual patient and their specific condition’s treatment requirements. We provide step-by-step advice to ensure a complete recovery of the patient, and to prevent any future relapses.
Why Choose Us?
- We pride ourselves on providing professional, quality services to help ensure the best possible recovery for our patients
- Easy online booking available
- Appointments from 8:30am- 6pm Monday through Saturday
- HICAPs facilities on-site for instant rebates from your health funds
- Our goal is to minimise your symptoms and provide long-term relief in minimal visits
- No lengthy waits for your appointments
- Fully air-conditioned, modern clinic with easy on-site parking
- We work with a network of GP’s and Specialists, and are happy to refer for further scans or a second opinion if required
- -Friendly caring staff always available to all of our patients